Introduction and updates
Date published: 22 August, 2017
This guidance provides details on the three Greening elements of the Common Agricultural Policy and should be read in conjunction with the guidance for the Basic Payment Scheme and Cross Compliance.
Please ensure that you read all the relevant elements of this updated guidance (including the annexes) if you are intending to apply under the Basic Payment Scheme.
Scheme and other changes for 2018
It was announced by the Minister that a number of changes to the Greening rules will be introduced from 2018.
Additionally, a list of potential changes to greening were identified under the EC Simplification Agenda, which have now been confirmed by the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2017/1155.
These changes only affect the EFA requirements, with the existing rules on crop diversification and permanent grassland unaffected.
The following list highlights the changes which are detailed in the Greening booklet under the appropriate EFA section:
- 1. hedges will be a separate EFA option - EFA hedges
- 2. agro-forestry established since 2015 under FGS (Pillar 2) on BPS eligible, arable land in 2015 will be a separate EFA option - EFA agro-forestry
- 3. maintenance of drainage on EFA fallow - EFA fallow
- 4. the introduction of a compulsory ban on Plant Protection Products on EFA fallow, EFA nitrogen fixing crops, EFA catch crops and EFA green cover, subject to certain flexibilities EFA fallow, EFA nitrogen fixing crops, EFA catch crops - , EFA green cover
- 5. changes to EFA eligibility/location. Introduce a new definition of 'adjacent' when considering whether EFA features are 'on or adjacent to arable land', necessary for them to qualify as EFA - Where can I put my EFA?
- 6. changes to catch crop and green cover options. Setting a new minimum duration period for the retention of catch crop and green cover to meet the EFA option requirements. Remove the deadlines given in the Regulation for the sowing of catch crop and green cover - EFA catch crops, EFA green cover
- 7. changes to the EFA Nitrogen fixing crops option - EFA nitrogen fixing crops
- 8. a new option of EFA Margin will be introduced which will amalgamate the previous EFA field margin and EFA buffer strip options - EFA margins
In this guidance:
|Main text||Updated for 2018, listing new additions to Greening|