Business Registration & Maintenance

Date published: 2 March, 2022

For recent changes to this guidance, please see the bottom of the page.

If you want to apply for rural funding from the Rural Payments and Inspections Division (RPID) and/or keep livestock, you will need to register your details with us.

You can register your business online by creating an account on Rural Payments and Services.

Once you have registered your business, you will receive a Business Registration Number. In some cases, you may also receive a County Parish Holding Number.

Registering online has several benefits:

  • it’s secure, quick and easy to use
  • the system can check and validate information before you submit
  • making changes is also quick and easy

If you previously registered with us using the paper application form (or used an advisory firm to register on your behalf) you can change to become an online customer.

When you register your business, you will have nominated a Responsible Person. To become an online customer, the Responsible Person must now register with the online system – using the instructions contained in the 'Claim Offline Identity Guidance'.

Use the link below to open the guidance booklet and follow the instructions to change from a paper to online customer.If you are having trouble using the new system, contact your local area office.

You can register several different types of business with us and, depending on the business type, we may need various kinds information from you. Find out more about business types.

It's important that the information we hold about you and your business is accurate and up to date. If not, it could affect funding you have received or may be applying for.

For more information go to How to use this service.

Watch our tutorial videos to find out how to create and maintain your online account.

If you are a livestock keeper you are required to register with the Animal and Plant Health Agency for a flock or herd number.

You will need your County Parish Holding Number to do this. We are required to share some of the information you give us with the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

If you carry out any animal feed activities you are required to tell us. We will then share some of this information with Food Standards Scotland.

Click 'Download this page' to create a printable version of this guidance you can save or print out.