Date published: 11 February, 2016
To see recent changes to this policy, check the bottom of the page
We take seriously the way we store, secure and use your personal information and how we meet our legal obligations.
We will always respect your personal privacy and the requirements of the law, in particular the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998.
Any personal data collected through this website if you register or apply for funding – such as addresses, bank details, business details – is protected to ensure that it is not misused or accessed inappropriately.
We will only ever use this data in accordance with the law and for the purposes we describe below. Any additional scheme-specific purposes or uses will be described in the guidance for that scheme.
We cannot accept any liability for problems caused by incorrect information that you or somebody acting for you supply us, so please be sure to double-check all information you submit.
Revision to these terms
We may at any time revise these terms and conditions without notice.
Please check these terms and conditions regularly, as continued use of the website after a change has been made is your acceptance of the change.
How we use your information
We will use information you provide to us to process any claims or applications you make.
We will also use your data for purposes connected with:
- administration of the Common Agricultural Policy
- administration of Scotland Rural Development Programme and other aid schemes
- monitoring and regulating the production and safety of food
- management of land and other environmental controls
- animal health and welfare
- plant health and bio-controls
- occupational health and welfare
- evaluation of the impact of scheme payments and to provide evidence and advice to support policy-making
- assessment and improvement of our services to ensure that they are of high quality, efficient, and responsive to our customers' needs
Sharing your information
We may also exchange information with other government departments for legal reasons.
If your business holds land or makes claims in another part of the UK, we will share relevant information relating to you and your holdings with other UK Paying Agencies in order to assess your eligibility and calculate any payments.
In order to fulfil the objectives referred to below, we will share your personal information with the following organisations (including any successor bodies):
- Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) and Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) for purposes connected with the Scotland Rural Development Programme and other environmental controls
- Food Standards Scotland for purposes connected with the regulation and monitoring and enforcement of food and feed hygiene standards
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) for management of land and other environmental controls
- Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) for purposes connected with animal and plant health and welfare
- organisations carrying out statistical and research activities, including the collection of agricultural data under section 78 (as amended) of the Agriculture Act (1947) and to meet European Commission Statistical Regulations
- organisations which audit the distribution of grants and subsidies in Scotland
- (contact information only) other organisations, for the purpose of improving or streamlining public service delivery, or to support public functions for which it is necessary for a public body to contact land managers and farmers
Publication of beneficiary information
European legislation (Regulation 1306/2013) requires us to publish, on a website, information relating to all beneficiaries of Common Agricultural Policy Schemes.
This includes details of payments made from 2014 onwards. Where beneficiaries receive less than €1250 in total, the information is anonymous. Please see the link below for more details.
How we look after your information
Whenever we use your personal data or share it with other organisations, it will be in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
The act requires, among other things, that we do not use your data for purposes incompatible with those listed here, that we take appropriate measures to protect the confidentiality, integrity and security of your information and that we must supply you with a copy of the information we hold about you if you request it.
We must observe the provisions of the following legislation as may be amended from time to time:
- the Data Protection Act 1998
- the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
- the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 and
- European Commission (EC) Regulation No 259/2008 as amended by Commission Regulation (EU) No 410/2011
We may need to disclose personal information when required by law if, in our opinion, it is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process.
For further information on how your information is used, how we maintain the security of your information and your rights to access the information we hold about you please get in touch.
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information please email email@example.com or write to us at the following address:
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House
We want to make sure your personal data is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
|Sharing your information||A clarification and alteration to who we share information with|
|Where your data is stored||Section removed|
|Publication of beneficiary data||New section|
|How we look after your information||More details added on your rights under the Data Protection Act|
Click 'Download this page' to create a printable version of this guidance you can save or print out.