Date published: 2 February, 2021

For recent changes to this guidance, please see the bottom of the page.

You will need to provide several maps with your application:

  • any maps required as part of the application requirements for individual management options and capital items
  • Farm Environment Assessment (FEA) maps: for 2021, some applications require a Contextual Map and a Farm Environment Management Map as explained in the FEA webpage

If you are a land occupier and have previously registered your land in order to claim payments under a support scheme operated by the Rural Payments and Inspections Division then you will have been issued with a LPIS map of your land holdings.

If you have not already registered your land and you wish to receive funding, you will need to register with us, in accordance with the guidance on business registration.

Once you have registered, we will send you a digitised map of your land, called your LPIS map. Maps based on your LPIS maps will be acceptable.

To view the online mapping facility, you will need to log on to your Rural Payments and Services account. This will allow you to access your location codes, land parcel details and view / print maps held by us. Further information is available in section 1.8 of our Land Maintenance Form Guidance.

If you do not possess a LPIS map, then your detailed maps must be based on up-to-date Ordnance Survey (OS) maps.

You must use originals or good quality copies (i.e. paper maps) unless you have access to digital mapping software enabling you to produce maps to the required standard. If this is the case, you can submit maps electronically.

Large scale mapping covering the whole of Scotland is available from Ordnance Survey in various hard-copy and digital formats under the product titles OS Sitemap or OS Landplan.

These products allow you to define your needs and maps can be produced site-centred regardless of National Grid sheet edges and at any size between A4 and AO.

Sitemap and Landplan maps are obtainable directly from the Ordnance Survey's Mapping and Data Centres – Ordnance Survey's retail outlets.

For more details on Sitemap, Landplan and other conventional Ordnance Survey products, contact your nearest Ordnance Survey Mapping and Data Centre or telephone Ordnance Survey Customer Information on 08456 05 05 05.

If you are producing maps from your own geographic information system (GIS) or digital mapping software, you should make sure that plots are based on up-to-date Ordnance Survey MasterMap data or 1:10,000 scale raster data (details of these products can be found on the Ordnance Survey website).

You may use the LPIS map that we have given you, without the need for a copyright licence.

Any organisation or person wanting to copy Ordnance Survey based maps for their own business or private use must either be licensed by the Ordnance Survey or apply for permission each time a copy is required and keep to the terms of that permission.

It is your responsibility (or the Accountable Person – someone mandated to act on your behalf) to ensure that any copyright responsibilities are met.

The Ordnance Survey provides licences to many bodies (for example, local authorities, various professional organisations and business firms) and to individual customers who have a regular need to copy Ordnance Survey material.

To apply for a licence or for further information contact Ordnance Survey Customer Information on 08456 05 05 05.

Your maps must be marked clearly and accurately and be consistent with your details in your application.

If you are carrying out a number of operations on the same area, you may need to use more than one map to ensure that the details are clear.

Your maps must:

  • show your case title
  • show your Business Reference Number and Location Code Number
  • be produced on an up-to-date LPIS or Ordnance Survey map
  • be at an appropriate scale to show a reasonable level of detail for the types of operations you propose to carry out: 1:2500 is a good scale for arable parcels, 1:10000 is a good scale to use for hill parcels where you are proposing moorland management. Where you are proposing to manage a smaller area of a hill parcel you should also submit a smaller scale secondary map to clearly and accurately identify the area you propose to manage
  • have the scale clearly marked on the map
  • show where North is
  • not have any map detail hidden by folds, labels or marks
  • have the Ordnance Survey grid reference of the centre of your application area marked or you must ensure that the individual grid lines are correctly numbered

The minimum requirements for displaying details on your map are:

  • show each management option or capital item you are applying for, using an easily recognisable colour hatching or symbol on your map
  • include a key to all symbols and hatching depicted on your maps
  • label each individual management option area and capital item with a letter and ensure that these correspond to the map letters in your online application. You may use the same map letter if appropriate, for example H1 can depict both a new hedge and any new fence associated with the hedge

An example is shown below.

Example of a management map
Section Change
Marking your maps Additional guidance added to last bullet point

Click 'Download this page' to create a printable version of this guidance you can save or print out.